Thursday, February 19, 2004

Spring Fever

It is absolutely gorgeous today. I want to go frolick, to run and skip and spin in circles, like I did when I was seven. Man, being seven was great. No worries, just imagination. School was about friends and the biggest challenge in class was learning to write in cursive. I want to go back to that. Forget writing papers and studying for tests, I want to go play tag and laugh in the sunshine.

Can I just go outside and run around? I want to lie in the grass and watch the clouds float above me, wondering where they're going and why I can't catch a ride on one. I want to dance with the breeze and spin around in circles until I fall down. Why is it that when we grow up and understand the world, we forget how amazing it all is? I mean, I realize that we have responsibilities and stuff as we get older, but can't we get a day off to just enjoy the little wonders in the world?

I realize that this is a switch, I'm normally pretty serious. And in the winter, I wouldn't even DREAM of saying things like this. But I guess that's the joy of spring. We see all the young things in nature, then new stuff, and we remember what it was like when we were younger and everything was new to us. Maybe I'm just behind the learning curve on this whole "forget the kid stuff" thing. Or maybe I'm just immature. But I want to go outside and "play and play and play".

Here I am again, quoting lyrics to narrate my life, but this one about works for my current feelings. Thank God for this day.

"Today, I took a walk up the street. Picked a flower, climbed a hill above the lake. And secret thoughts were said aloud, I watched the faces in the cloud until the clouds had blown away. Were we ever somewhere else? You know, it's hard to say.

But I never saw blue like that before, across the sky, around the world. You've given me all you have and more. And no one else has ever shown me how to see the world the way I see it now. Oh I never saw blue like that before.

I can't believe a month ago, I was alone. I didn't know you, I hadn't seen you or heard your name. And even now, I'm so amazed. It's like a dream, it's like a rainbow, it's like the rain. And some things are the way they are, and words just can't explain.

Cause' I never saw blue like that before, across the sky, around the world. You've given me all you have and more. And no one else has ever shown me how to see th world the way I see it now. Oh I never saw blue like that before.

And it feels like now, and it feels always, and it feels like coming home. I never saw blue like that before, across the sky, around the world. You've given me all you have and more. And no one else has ever shown me how to see the world the way I see it now. Oh I never saw blue like that before. Oh I never saw blue like that before."
-Shawn Colvin, "Never Saw Blue Like That"

25 more minutes of work, then I can go frolick in the sunshine. I'm out.

No comments: