Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Spaghetti Thoughts

It's only Monday, but it feels like it ought to be at least Wednesday. I've got so much crap going on this week that I'm not sure when I'm going to get any work done, plus I'm fighting McDavid SARS. Yikes. Now a few thoughts that I need to get out there.

Stef is playing matchmaker again. This could be good, or the results could be disasterous. We shall, I suppose, see. I have great hope for some people's relationships... *cough, SARAH, cough, cough*. And I get the distinct feeling that I may be the only one without prospects on V-Day. That's as it should be, after all, I AM the spinster aunt of the FARC. (Like the crazy cat lady, but without the cats...perhaps the GMF would fit as a substitute?)

One of my relatives died over the weekend. It wasn't entirely unexpected because she was pretty old, but it still made me sad. I loved her a great deal, but hadn't had the chance to see her in about 18 months. I really wish I could have seen her once more, just to remind her about how much I love her. I hope she knew. I think she did.

It's beginning to sound like four weddings and a funeral, isn't it? Anyway, Wesley stuff has me going crazy, and all the while I get the feeling that I should be doing more and that what I am doing isn't effectual anyway. Ergh. However, this too shall pass (that means I'll hang in there and everything will be alright...I feel like singing some sixties stuff...WOW I need sleep...)

My sociology class is making me really depressed, talking about inequality in life, and how there's little prospect of a change. I can't believe that these superclass people manage to pull off the abuses and oppression that we study. It makes me sad to know that there are people who are working their butts off at minimum wage jobs trying to make ends meet and raise families, but still unable to survive. What about the children who can't afford to even finish high school, or kids who go to schools that don't have enough money for books or computers? Why do I have privilege while they suffer? What reason could there be for me being able to afford to go to college while they can't afford to eat? How can we let this happen? Every human being should have the right to be able to attain what is necessary to survive: sanitary, warm, dry living conditions; adequate, nutritious food; clothing and shoes that fit properly; enough education to be able to read, write, and do math enough to complete basic business transactions; and the chance to know that they are valuable. I wish that could be the case. Why isn't it?

Sorry, I needed to get that brief rant off my chest and send those questions and thoughts off into the great void. So, goodnight dear void.

*DISCLAIMER* No, I'm not advocating any particular social reform or any crap like that. Neither am I horribly, irrevocably depressed. Sorry to be such a downer this evening. I promise I'll write more pleasant things again soon.

No comments: