Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Down With Love

I've been trying to imagine lately what kind of literary character I would be. I have come to the conclusion that I would be an awkward, perpetually dieting single. Although I present a confident and independent image, I secretly desire to be swept of my feet, just a little. Unfortunately, I am the tomboy, not the flirty, feminine girl, so I never win. Not to mention that I'm too intimidating. And why do I really want a guy anyway? I don't need one. I probably don't even have time for one. Yet I can't seem to get over it.

The problem with this whole searching-for-That-Guy thing is very much like a dog chasing a pickup truck. I am trying to catch this thing that is faster, larger, and better equipped than I am. And even if the dog could catch the truck, what would he do with it then?

I never seem to be able to get guys, one of these problems inevitably occurs:
1) He likes me and I don't like him, or vice-versa. It's like in Annie Hall: "I would never want to be a member of a club that would like to have me as a member."
2) He is taken. There is a terrible shortage of good guys, and most of them are already claimed by some lucky girl.
3) He is not a Christian. I'm going to be a minister, and there's really no way to reconcile a non-believing spouse and a career as a minister, not to mention it screws up your support system.
3)a) Along with this, fundamentalist and conservative Christian guys don't work, either, because they don't think that women should be ministers, which also does not work for me.
4) The chemistry is simply not there. As in, we would match perfectly and we like each other as friends and it would be completely logical for us to get together, but there is simply no spark.

Regardless of the specific conditions, these always get in the way. I shouldn't care. I really shouldn't. I'm too strong, too busy, and too happy to even be thinking about this. I have great friends, an awesome family, fun classes, a great job, and a dream to chase. No more blathering about boys. This time I mean it. (At least until tomorrow...)

No comments: