Thursday, April 22, 2004

Theological Thoughts

Time to address an interesting theological issue and clarify something about my previous blog: I do not believe in predestination. Unlike some conservative Christians, I do not believe that God has one plan for our lives. I don't think that he puts a stamp on us when we are born that determines our home for eternity...I don't think he stamps our backsides with "Saved" or "Damned" before plopping us down on this planet. I can't imagine God plotting out our lives ahead of us, then zapping us with lightning bolts to get us to do what He chooses and go where He wants.

With that said, I now enter the part where the answers get shady. Do I think that God wants the best for us? Yes. But when bad things happen, is it because that is God's will? No. I think that mankind has freedom: we can choose our actions and our lifestyles. When humans do bad things, that is when bad things happen. What about natural disasters, diseases, plagues? I don't know. I don't believe that God sends these things to punish us. I really don't know the answer, though. I guess I'll chalk that one up to questions that I someday want God to answer.

So, what about this life plan thing? I think that most of the time, we should just live our lives in the best way we know how. We should pray for help and discernment, but I think usually God's answer is, "Figure it out for yourself, that's what I gave you free will for!" Most of us don't have transformation experiences, and God doesn't usually just pop down from heaven and tell us directly what to do. There aren't very many of us who get burning-bush-mail or instant-angel-messages. In general, I think we are supposed to read Scripture, pray, and behave according to what we think is best.

My best guess on the whole predestination thing is this: God is outside time. I don't believe he determines what we will do, nor do I think he alters things in ways that interfere with our free will. Instead, I think He can see our whole lives, everything ahead of us and behind us, and he knows what we will choose. (That whole omniscent, omnipresent thing again...) We have free will, but God is watching us all along the way.

Now, for all of you who are sick of this theology, not to worry. I'll write later regarding MU Day of Silence, the weather, and life in general...plus perhaps some observations on the world. Until then, adios!

No comments: