Sunday, April 25, 2004

The "F" Word

That's right I'm saying it. I am a feminist. I think that women are equal to men, and therefore deserve equal opportunities and equal treatment. After all, how does having a different anatomy make us any less than men? Is a vagina inherently less valuable than a penis? I don't think so.

Abuse of women should never be tolerated. Women should not be forced to wear veils or burqas. Women do not "belong" to men; we are not property. We will fight for equal treatment and challenge those who hurt, rape, or mutilate us. I don't think that abortion is right, but I also don't think that men should be able to make laws that force women to carry a baby and give birth if that is not their desire.

That said, I am not a man-hater or lesbian. I'm not against the institution of marriage, and I don't think that men are inherently evil. There is nothing wrong with women who choose to stay at home, and I support women who choose to have children and stay home to take care of them. I have been known to quote the slogan, "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle", but that's not entirely true. I think that marriages of equal partnership, in which both parties share power and support one another are great. However, marriage is not necessary for everyone. A woman does not need to be attached to a man in order to have value. Women can survive single or married, it should be a choice that each woman makes for herself.

I have been told lately that I am "too picky" when it comes to guys. Perhaps this is the case. But I have reasons. After all, I don't really see the point in dating anyone that I wouldn't consider marrying, since that is the eventual goal I have for romance in my life. I don't feel that getting married is absolutely necessary, so I am not going to settle. Why should I? I can't commit my life to someone that I don't respect, admire, and love. If I never find that person, then I'll never get married. It's not that I think I'm too good for the guys I know, it's just that few to none of them possess the characteristics that I need. I need a guy who is a Christian with a really strong faith and a good sense of humor who is kind, gentle, strong, intellegent, understanding, articulate, and patient. It wouldn't hurt if he were liberal-leaning and attractive, too. I don't think that I am too picky, I am just not going to change my standards just to get a guy. If I never find the right guy, then I will be single forever. I can handle that. Which, I suppose, is probably one more reason that I will never end up married.

I used the "F" word: feminism. I am a feminist, but not, as Seinfeld would say, a "Femi-Nazi". I don't burn bras, but I fight the against patriarchy in our society. Sorry if that offends you, but that's the way I am.

No comments: