Saturday, September 04, 2004

FARC You

Yes, that's right, I'm working the FARC desk. An exciting pastime for my Saturday night, I'll admit. It's Labor Day weekend, which means that the dorm is 2/3 empty, and the other 1/3 are band folks who are partying or out-of-staters left to their own, quiet devices. I count as an out-of-stater, I guess, and trapped into working until midnight. Not that I'd have anything to do anyway, I'd probably be doing the same stuff in my room if I weren't at the desk: reading, knocking out the dab of homework my professors kindly gave me to occupy my downtime, and contemplating the future.

It's hard to believe that there are just four more semesters left in my college career. After this semester, I've got 12 classes left. Only 12. I'm starting to give serious thought to Study Abroad stuff, and thinking that perhaps New Zealand isn't the place for me. I've been crunching numbers, looking at programs, and thinking about the cultural experience. My options at this point are New Zealand, Australia, and (in first place right now) South Africa. South Africa has the most unique cultural outlook and it's the least expensive, plus I could speak English. I'm trying to figure out what kind of Capstone project or class I'd like to take, and I'm looking at seminary prospects.

Seminary. Just like with my college decision, I'm starting to make a giant spreadsheet with the options, strengths and weaknesses, the financial distribution, and my opinions. I'm considering Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Emory, Garrett, Iliff, St. Paul, Trinity, and Boston University. Ten. I want to visit all of them, then I have to decide. The nice thing is that I probably won't apply to all of them, and even if I did it would be a smaller number of schools than I applied to for undergrad. Ahhh... gotta love applications.

But enough living in the future. For the moment, I'm working my way through my classes, struggling only with Greek so far. I'll be getting back to Inquiry stuff soon and Wesley is off and running. And, there's always working at the desk: getting paid to relax and snagging a piece of every pizza that's delivered to residents. Mmmm...

No comments: