Monday, September 13, 2004

Dikaiopolis, plowing, and the slave

Yes, I know it has been a long time since I have written. I realize that this may be disappointing to the, oh, maybe two people who read this blog. To you, I apologize. However, I have been caught up in a very traumatic and engrossing saga involving my friend Dikaiopolis and his slave, Xanthias. There was some confusion about a rock, and some plowing, and the oxen were mad... it was a mess. That is to say, I have been really busy trying to keep up with my Ancient Greek homework (and other classes). So, allow me to update some random thoughts and happenings from the last week.

The first thing on my mind right now is: OUCH! The Wesley State-wide float trip was this weekend and, while it was quite fun, it is also excruciatingly painful in that I have a terrible sunburn and a couple of really nasty purple and green bruises. Despite my best efforts to apply sunscreen, my back and shoulders are the approximate color of a Kansas Jayhawk, and the tops of my feet and thighs resemble the color of a strawberry smoothie. I had to carry my bookbag around all day in my hands because it hurt too much to carry on my back, leaving me looking like a complete idiot waddling around campus with a grimace on my face. While I usually love being hugged, I have spent the last two days begging people not to hug me because I might scream. Thank heavens for Sarah, who puts aloe on my back three times a day. She is my medical hero.

Another revelation from the float trip: more confirmation that I'm never going to get married. I talked to a man there who chose his seminary based on where his wife could work while he was in classes. I don't want to be limited like that. I mean, there's way too much I want to do that would keep me from settling down: I want to travel to Africa, Asia, and Australia/New Zealand. I want to get a Masters Degree and a Doctorate. I want to have a dog. Besides, I'm not willing to settle for convenience and logical love. It's like Elizabeth Bennett says in Pride and Prejudice, "I am determined that only the deepest love could ever induce me into matrimony." Besides, where am I ever going to find a guy who not only is a good match for me, who I like and who likes me in return, and who is willing to follow me wherever I end up going for ministry?

Other exciting news: the Broncos beat the Chiefs last night in the season opener. I was ecstatic. Today I wore my Elway jersey around campus and had more random conversations with strangers than ever before. I mean, I know that a lot of people here are Chiefs fans, but I never realized how many people were willing to speak up about a SHIRT. No one was mean, though, there were a few supportive Broncos and Rams fans, and the Chiefs fans merely joked around with me. Fun times.

We discussed language in my women's sociology class the other day, which means we got to use all sorts of "dirty" words like bitch and cunt. I really hate that the word bitch is supposed to be bad, when it is used to describe an assertive, opinionated, strong woman. There is nothing wrong with being assertive, opinionated, or strong, no matter what the gender, and I resent the implication that such things are bad. I, however, have never had a problem with the word cunt. I mean, because it was so "dirty", I first encountered it when I was sixteen and reading a Ken Follett novel. I didn't even really realize it was bad, and I refuse to think about a part of the female anatomy as a "dirty word". I mean, words like dick aren't bad, so why should cunt be so bad? This irks me. I am hereby reclaiming the word cunt. I like it. I'm going to use it. People can deal with it.

I also saw my first roommate on campus today. After hearing rumors that she quit her sorority, that she was moving to kU, and that she'd switched out of journalism, I didn't know where she was. I mean, it's been almost two years since I've run into her, and I was so surprised when I saw her today that I didn't know how to respond. We had one of those inane how-are-you conversations, then we went our separate ways. I have no idea what she's studying now or anything. Surreal.

I leave you with one last exciting bit of news: Filming is underway for a new Pride and Prejudice movie, starring Kiera Knightly. Even though I know it won't be as good as the Colin Firth version, I still love Jane Austen, and I'm looking forward to it. YAY! For now, though, I'm headed back to Dikaiopolis and his plow.

No comments: