Thursday, September 23, 2004

World Peace and my iPod

I was studying for my Political Geography quiz a few days ago, when the perfect ideas for solving the West Bank dispute came to mind. I was thinking about animal territoriality, and then it hit me: fire hydrant. We should divide up the disputed territory into home-sized plots, then open it up for whoever wants to run out and relieve themselves. Whoever urinates on the plot first claims it for him/herself and consequently his/her country. It creates a multi-cultural community. It can't be suicide bombed because who knows where the Palestinians are and where the Israelis are? Or, if you have a distaste for human urine, we could always do the typical band fundraiser: cow patty bingo. We make a miniature miniature map of the territory on a football field somewhere in Nebraska, then we let the cows loose, some marked as "Palestinian" and some as "Israeli", then let the patties fall where they may. Palestine gets the plots marked by the "Palestinian" cows, and the same with Israel and the "Israeli" cows. It would make about as much sense as the current divisions of territory. I realize that they all want the same territory, but why can't they just share it instead of killing one another? Thus, the fire hydrant plan or the cow patty bingo plan. It's excellent.

A few other assertions: I think that non-state nations should be given territory instead of being "ethnically cleansed" off the planet. For instance, the whole Middle East would be more peaceful if Iraq, Iran, and Kuwait would just give the Kurds a little land and freedom of self-government. Many of the bombings in Southeast Asia would disappear if the people of East Timor, Tibet, and Taiwan were freed. And, come to think of it, Putin would have a much safer nation if he would let Chechnya and the other nations that wish to secede do so. But that's just my opinion. And I don't think that the U.S. should intercede, I just wish the other nations would get over their greed and work for peace instead of territory and control. (But then, the U.S. isn't really good at that, either, so I guess I can't expect it of others...)

In other news, I got my iPod in the mail today. I'm pretty psyched about it. I mean, all the music I want to listen to in a little tiny computer-thing. That means that I don't have to lug around my giant CD case, I can just walk and jam, jam and walk. I can go to class while grooving to my favorite tunes. I finally get to have a soundtrack to life, instead of just the music in my head that never stops. It's hot.

Well, back to cramming and jamming. I'm out.

No comments: