Monday, January 19, 2004

Mother Lauren? I don't know about that...

I had an epiphany last night. I realized that I'm not just a spinster aunt, I actually have mothering tendencies. Now, I'm not talking like I want to have kids (anytime soon, maybe never) but I actually felt the urge to take care of the girls I took to the party. I was, as usual, the designated driver, carrying around my Mt. Dew. As I observed the social interactions of the party (hey, too many soc. classes will do that to you) I discovered that I wanted to make sure that my friends didn't do anything that they would regret. For instance, I tried to make sure that Stef, Rachel, Bryan, and Kristen didn't make out with anyone that they didn't really like. In many cases I succeeded, in a few I failed. Then I made sure that the girls got back to the dorm and into bed safely. And I felt as though I had accomplished something. It was strange to feel as though I made a difference when all I did was watch out for my friends. But it was still fun, despite the fact that the guy I like is really shy, and that I got hit on by a 25-year-old. Ah... college is grand.

I'm really REALLY happy that all of my friends are finally back. Even though I'm worried about some of them that are battling hard times, I'm glad that they're back here where I can see that they're all right. And (she added selfishly) I love chilling with them!

Tomorrow is the first day of classes for us, but I don't have any classes on Tuesday/Thursday, so I don't have any tomorrow. I actually sort of wish I had a class or two, just because I'd like to get a taste of what the semester will be like. Instead, I have to jump in with both feet on day two. Oh well, it should be exciting. And I get to practice running from building to building in the 10 minutes between classes.

And tonight is the first big night of Twain dining. Very exciting. Or not. Oh, well. At least there's Yo-Cream.

No comments: