Friday, January 02, 2004

Happy New Year, 2004!

It's 2004. Now all I have to do is repeat that a hundred times until I believe that it's true. It just doesn't seem real to me that it is a new year already. I had just gotten used to it being 2003. I never get used to writing a new date on things until at least February.

I would like to say that I've thought up great and impressive New Years resolutions. I'd like to say that they're really thought-provoking and challenging. I'd like to say that... but I didn't. I have only two resolutions, and neither of them is very good. One is the obvious and traditional "lose 10 pounds". The likelihood is that this will not be achieved, but it's worth trying and maybe if I post that, I'll actually have the determination to do it. The other is to be braver. I often find that I want to do something, like speak to a stranger or say what I'm thinking or take action on an idea, but I chicken out, or allow myself to push the thought to the back of my mind, then cover it up with other things and claim to be "too busy" to do it. My resolution is to have the courage to take action when I'm first thinking about it. I'm also not sure whether that will be a success, but it's worth a shot.

I spent the day yesterday with Rachel. Spending time with Rachel is always awesome because she is like me in so many ways. It's as though she can read my mind sometimes, and can always understand where I'm coming from. She understands when I say I'm afraid of logical love, that I haven't felt "that thing", that being alone scares me to death, that if I'm going to date a guy that he needs to be a Christian, and that "fine" doesn't always mean fine. Thank God for friends like that.

May the new year bring you peace, challenges, friendship, love and contentment. Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments: