Monday, January 19, 2004

Herding the Butterflies

I've figured it out. Every time you try to influence people, whether it be through persuasion or leadership or something else entirely, it is like herding butterflies. Each individual has their own direction and pattern, and they are all going in different directions, paying little attention to where the others are going. As the herder, you have to try to make their paths intersect, but without damaging their very vulnerable wings, or crushing their sensitive spots.

I came to this conclusion last night, when I was trying to gather the people I was driving home from the party. They were all going in different directions, with different goals and driving forces. I had to try to get them all going the same direction for long enough to get them into the car. My theory was further validated by a discussion of a certain male. This specific male is of great interest to me, but happens to be extremely shy. Mostly as a herder in this case, I want to convince the butterfly to take flight when it seems quite content to sit on the current flower, close to the ground, and not risk the air.

So, here's to the beautiful, diverse butterflies of the world. I'm off to do some herding.

No comments: