Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Model Box

In his prayer during our staff meeting this morning our senior pastor referred to Advent as a "pregnant time". I love that imagery. It is a time when we are heavy with expectation, curious and excited about what is to come. It was also interesting timing, since this is a bit of a "pregnant time" for one of my big responsibilities at the church: a new emergent worship service. Part of my work on that service has been planning a rearrangement of the chapel where the service will be held. I can explain theologically what I want to do, and I can brainstorm ideas, but interior design and arrangement of space are not my strengths. Fortunately for me, we have a very gifted member who is also studying theater at NYU. She volunteered to advise us and to provide us with some tools for our planning. Today, a wonderful gift arrived from her: a model box. The model box is a scale model of the space, complete with all the important things that will go in the chapel. It allows us to arrange and re-arrange the space in 3-D without having to move all the furniture. The arrival of the model box made me grin and actually jump up and down with excitement.



Here is a picture of the awesome model box. The brown space around it in the picture is another happy thought: the surface of my desk is actually visible!

3 comments:

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

How cool!!

Jill said...

So jealous! I wish we could do something with our space for the contemporary service that I work with, but it's just not in the cards right now. Have fun!

Hopper said...

I would totally come to your church if I lived in VA . . . in fact, I wish that you lived a little closer so that I could talk to you on spiritual matters more. :)