Monday, December 21, 2009

Grinchy

I had a Grinchy day today. A family in our congregation is going through a situation that is painful beyond imagining. The preparation for Christmas Eve services is reaching fever pitch. My apartment is not yet clean for my parents' arrival. I spent an hour in traffic trying to get around a train derailment that created a huge traffic jam. I had to fight the crowds at the mall and I still didn't manage to finish my Christmas shopping. I got back to my apartment tired, frustrated, and sad.


In that low moment, I was really thankful for faraway friends and the ease of communication. I often forget how blessed I am to be able to pull a cell phone out of my pocket and call loved ones any time I want. But today that made me smile.

1 comment:

sanctifyingsarah said...

Remember, Jesus wasn't born on December 24. What I mean is, if you don't get it all done, it will be ok. Your parents want to be with you for Christmas, whether you open presents on December 26 or New Years (that's what we are doing). A piece of advice, in my experience it doesn't matter how much I clean my house my mom is going to come and "finish cleaning" for me, I let her because she says it makes her feel useful.