Monday, December 14, 2009

Fog Delay


Today I awoke to a dense cloud outside my window. The whole area was blanketed with fog. So, since I'd already arranged to come into the office late, I rolled over and granted myself a fog delay. It reminded me of those days when I was in elementary and high school when, upon waking up in the morning, I'd discover that everything out the living room windows was obscured by fuzzy gray. At that moment, I'd run to my radio to listen for the school delays. We'd start with a one hour delay - I'd hustle back to bed for as much extra sleep as I could manage. When I woke up and checked again, we'd have moved on to a two-hour delay, and I'd use the extra time to sit in my pajamas on the couch and watch cartoons or the Today show. If I was really, really lucky, school would be cancelled by ten a.m., then the fog would burn off by eleven. Then we'd have the rest of the day, unencumbered, to relax and enjoy ourselves.

So, fog is attached to wonderful memories for me. It seems magical, softening all the hard edges and making the world seem calmer somehow. Today that softness seemed like a gift from God.

No comments: