Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Finals, Finals, Finals

I am timing myself, I can only spend 10 minutes writing this before I have to start studying for my Historical Geology final tomorrow. So here goes.

I have a love-hate relationship with finals week. I hate that I have to memorize all of the information we have covered in all of my classes over the last fifteen weeks, then regurgitate that information in two hours. I hate that I have to say goodbye to all of my friends here and not see them again for three months. I hate that I have to try to pack up all of my belongings without boxes and either fit them into a rented storage space or cram them all into Jack, my car. However, I love that my schedule finally eases up. I love that we are all more considerate of one another and extremely caring about our friends because we realize our time left with them is limited. I love that you get tired and goofy and play insane spy games through campus in the dark. I love the "last time this year" meals out, pizza nights, study sessions, and late-night talks. I love the philosophy that you can hang out with friends and watch movies all day long, then try to cram all night so that you can pass the tests that are supposed to be the reason we're all here in the first place. Finals week is the epitome of the college experience: the friends, the studying, being cramped and broke, laughing, and loving all the people around you.

One finals week story that must be shared: Last night Sarah, Zach, and the Wombat decided to take me to visit their new favorite place: rooftops. We climbed up onto a couple of roofs, climbed over buildings, and played spies across campus. We hid in bushes, behind trees, and in shadows. We ran from hiding place to hiding place, rolling in the grass. Then we went to Hitt for some snacks and stuck around and talked. It was definitely one of the best nights of the year, just because it was so fun, laid back, and goofy. And you weren't sure I was GOOFY enough?! I'm insulted. But it was great. I should have been studying, however, because I am completely unprepared for my test tomorrow. Good thing the Wombat will help me study tonight! And that is how finals week should be: fun and stressful, simultaneously full of laughter and studying. We're going to have to continue that tradition!

Now, shout outs to my wonderful Missouri friends:

Stef, it's been awesome to bee your neighbor all year. You are loud and hilarious, and I'll never forget watching you charm every person you see and smile your way into the hearts of everyone you meet. You're amazing, hun, and don't you ever forget it. I can't wait to see you again next fall.

Sarah, you're wonderful. No one else could convince me to go running for the first time in a year, to help them study a language that I don't speak, and persuade me tease and flirt with every boy in the building. Hooray for being jackals! I'm so glad you moved to FARCland. Next fall is going to be wonderful!

KJ, what can I say? You're crazy, but in the best possible way. Pride and Prejudice week was a blast and I know there will be more wonderful times next fall. Je t'aime, m'amie!

Wombat (who does have a name, even though I never use it), I'm so glad you decided to come hang out with Stef and let me meet you. You've been an great friend and study buddy. You actually made Valentine's Day fun. Thank you for all you've been and let me be. You'd better be ready for me to invade your apartment and bug you in the fall!

Zach, you're such a bum for not coming back next fall! However, I will forgive you for that. You're a great guy, you made sitting in the car driving down I-70 for 8.5 hours enjoyable, which is quite a feat. You'd better be prepared to come visit and play frisbee next fall!

Ryan, Matt, Rachee, Tommy, Chris (Wang), Will, Adam, Caleb, Mel, and Sara, you guys have stood by me and been great friends for as long as I've known you. Thanks for everything! Next year will be great.

I have to give a shout-out for Susanne and Clark as well, since they are graduating. I can't believe you won't be here with me next year. I can't really imagine it being college without you, but I also know there's no way to keep you here, you're both too smart to fail. Just know that I will miss you immensely, you two could always make me smile and laugh when no one else could. I am so glad I got the chance to know you.

Well, I'm out of time, so I must run. Hope finals are treating everyone well and that we all survive this week! Now, back to the history of the earth. Dang.

Songs for the day: "Remember Me This Way" from the Casper Soundtrack, "Graduation (Friends Forever)" by Vitamin C, "In This Diary" by the Ataris, The theme song from "Friends", and "What You Own" from RENT

No comments: