Thursday, May 13, 2004

And they lived happily ever after... or at least all summer long...

The end has finally come. I've finished my last final, I'm packing up my stuff, and tomorrow morning I'll start the drive back home. As I sit here at the desk, I know that I am the last person people see as they leave this dorm. Some will be back in the building next year, some will be on campus next year, but some are transferring or going away for good. "There are few things sadder in this life than watching someone walk away after they've left you, watching the distance between your bodies expand until there's nothing...but empty space and silence." That's a line from Someone Like You. The character is speaking about her ex-boyfriend, but I really think it applies to anyone that you care about leaving. I know that I'll all of them again, but right now it feels like everyone is leaving, and three months sounds like a really long time. So, for everyone who I will be leaving in the next 24 hours, know that I will miss you and I'm already excited for the next time I see you.

On the plus side, I'm starting to taste that freedom that comes with wrapping up the loose ends in a part of your life and leaving them for a while. All of my finals are finished, so I know that I won't have to worry about school stuff again until August. While there are some things that I wish I'd done better on, there's nothing I can do at this point except wait for the final grades to be published. I've packed up a lot of my stuff and put it into storage for the summer, and in 2 hours the rest will all be packed up, too. Then I'll give my room back to the university for 3 months and spend a last night hanging out with the girls. Tomorrow I'll walk away from this place for 3 months and leave the stresses of being a student here.

Tomorrow I'll get to spend 10 hours with one of my best friends: me. I'll get to drive with no one telling me where to go or when to stop. I'll be able to sing along to my music and sort through the jumble in my head. Then, after the drive, I'll be able to hug my parents for the first time in 4 months. I'll be able to see my friends from home that I've only heard the voices of for the last 18 weeks. I'll get to giggle with Amy, take walks with Dusty, trade stories with Alex, have tete-a-tete's with Rachel, and scope boys with Rikki. So, perhaps, as the Wombat tells me (when he brings me flowers, yay!), that makes up for the fact that I won't be playing spy games and frisbee with Zach, hearing crazy stories from Stef, goofing off with Kristen, trying to keep track of Sarah's boys, being spoiled by the Wombat, and chilling with Ryan, Matt, Tommy, Rachee, Chris, and the other FARCers. ASP will make up for the lack of Wesley.

Either way, today is my last day as a sophomore and tomorrow I'm off like a waterbuffalo stampede.

No comments: