Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Pan-Holiday Celebration

Today may have technically been Valentine's Day, but it was really a celebration of all holidays. I spent the day celebrating with KJ and the Wombat, and it was lovely.

First, I must announce a slight alteration to my Lent plan. I have decided that when I am GIVEN food as a gift, it doesn't count as junk food. I chose to give up junk food because I tend to use it to comfort me or distract me when I'm upset and I really should be turning to God, not gastronomy, for that. But I reasoned that when people give me food, I'm not using it as an escape, I'm just enjoying a gift someone has given me. Thus, while I'm not allowed to go eating junk food on my own or gorging myself on Ben and Jerry's, if someone decides to give me a cookie, or share a pizza with me to celebrate something, it really isn't going against the purpose for which I'm observing Lent. So, when KJ and the Wombat decided to give me pizza and pop to celebrate Valentine's Day, or when my friends gave me Valentine's candy not realizing my Lenten observation, I ate them in peace. This is how, I must say, KJ, Chris, and I ended up buying each other pizza, serving each other food and drink, and wishing each other happy (insert holiday here, e.g.: Ramadan, Christmas, Talk-like-a-pirate-day, etc.). It was wonderful.

Then I was given one of the most amazing holiday gifts ever. Even though it was a bit late (combining my birthday, Christmas, AND Valentine's Day), I have NO complaints. You see, one of my closest friends found the letters that my ASP families from the summer sent me, copied down the addresses, and contacted them to ask for the contact information of my volunteers. He then wrote all of the volunteers requesting pictures from the summer and put together a scrapbook for me. It is AMAZING. Wonderful and fantastic and amazing. Happy holidays indeed.

Thus, I'm all about celebrating holidays today. Even the one that I normally hate: Valentine's Day. I hope that yours was as good as mine, regardless of your relationship status.

No comments: