Sunday, February 20, 2005

...maybe it's just me, though

Vagina Monologues
The Vagina Monologues were banned in Uganda on Friday (the same day that I went to see them for the second time) as being contrary to the country's values. I was saddened. I mean, how awesome is this celebration of the female condition? This performance is poetic... it is alternately tragic and hilarious. It brings issues like relationship abuse, rape, and human rights to the forefront, but also discusses the terrors of duck lips and sexuality. I must say, I truly enjoy this work. The Vagina Monologues unite women, bring out our common experiences, and help us to come together to defend ourselves. I'm deeply saddened that the women of Uganda can't experience this work.

Geology ROCKS!
So, I start tutoring Geology tomorrow afternoon, an event I'm rather nervous about. I've never actually tutored anyone before, so the idea of beginning tomorrow with not just one, but FOUR students, is a bit intimidating. In addition to that, while I've taken many Geology classes, I'm tutoring a class that I haven't taken, which is being taught this semester by professors that I've never met. Eek. It would be nice if I had some vague idea where in the material they are... Wish me luck!

Labels
I saw a guy walking across campus a few days ago carrying a tote bag. I know, you're thinking, "What else is new? C'mon, tell me something I don't know." But the interesting thing about the bag is that it said, in large orange letters screen printed on, 'bag'. I stopped and watched the guy walk past, mystified. Why would anyone need to buy a bag that says "bag" on it? I mean, do you pick up the bag and think, "Wait, what is this item? Oh, yes, of course, look at the bright orange lettering, it must be a bag. Good thing it was labeled, I almost called it a lightswitch." Are sacks that difficult to identify? Really? Then I thought, what if I labeled everything I own. My shirts would all say 'shirt', my dorm room would say 'room', my sandwich would say (in edible writing, of course) 'sandwich'. No, I'm afraid that is entirely too boring. Instead of marketing products that are self-identifying, I want to market products that try to fool you. Like socks that say 'beach ball' or bathtubs that say 'mudpie'. I could sell cars that had the word 'cheese' painted on their side or, best of all, white paper that had the word 'ink' covering the surface with black. Yes, that's a good idea. (Hey, it's just as good as bags that say 'bag'!)

Delinquency
I think I've been working at the desk too long. I have strange fantasies of doing crazy things at the desk. (No, not that, get your mind out of the gutter.) I mean, wouldn't it be great to lie on my back on the surface of the desk and practice Zen meditation? I would just sit there saying "Ommmmmm.....Oooooommmmmmmmmm....." and if any resident came by wanting service, I would just inform them that I was working toward levitation and to go away and leave me to it. Or that dream I have of sitting at the desk and ringing the bell at THEM as they walk by instead of having them ringing it at me. That'd teach them. Perhaps if I sat in the back room cackling madly and flicking the lights, they'd think the desk was haunted and leave me alone. Hmm...

Right...well...back to work.

No comments: