Thursday, October 14, 2004

Decision: Off the Market

I have made a big decision: I am not going to get into a relationship for the next two years. So far everyone I have told of this decision has looked at me as though I'm nuts, questioned me disbelievingly, or outright laughed. But, logistically speaking, it makes a lot of sense. Check it out:

First, I'm insanely busy right now. I'm taking 17 hours, starting a new 15-hour-a-week job, working as a Peer Minister and StuCo President at Wesley, trying to get through the Inquiry Process for Ministry, planning/preparing for/applying for study abroad and seminary, and attempting to have a social life. I really don't need the extra stress and time usage.

Second, my life is way too unstable to get attached to someone else. I'm only going to be here at school for the rest of the semester, then home for break for three weeks, then here for another semester, then back home for a month, then I'll disappear to South Africa for a semester, then I'll have one more semester at school before I graduate and go somewhere else entirely for seminary.

Third, I am in a stage of commitmentphobia. I hate feeling tied up. I haven't seen enough of the world to know what I want for sure yet, so how can I make a commitment to one person? Maybe someday I'll be willing to limit my options to one person, but at this point I don't want to do it. Maybe I haven't met the right person, maybe I'm not mature enough, maybe I'm too picky, maybe I'm destined to be single forever. I don't know. But regardless, this is my decision for now.

Don't hold me to this, obviously, as situations change and extraneous circumstances prevail. But for the moment, I'm not interested in relationships with anyone. Singlehood and friendship suit me fine. (And maybe a little random making out....;-) Just kidding...mostly...)

That's all for now. Hope your week wraps up well!

No comments: