Sunday, March 01, 2009

News and Weather Reports

It is March 1. I live in the south. In spite of those two facts, I'm looking out my window at SNOW. It isn't just a few flakes, it's big complex flakes, falling on the ground, and forming soft white blankets on the grass, and slushy messes on the roads. The snow began falling during church, and by the end of the service, the outside surfaces were all covered with white. When the service ended and the choir trekked across to the other building to put our robes and music away, several of the women in the choir stopped to make snowballs and throw them at each other. I found myself caught in the crossfire between two women in their sixties, wearing choir robes, hurling snowballs at each other and laughing uproariously.

They are the reason that I am excited to be a pastor. I am looking forward to being a part of the lives of congregations like this one, being present with them in joys and sorrows, struggles and celebrations, all the while pointing toward the places where we see God in our lives together. And, starting in July, I will get to do just that.

I interviewed for commissioning on Monday, and on Wednesday I got a call informing me that I had passed and would be recommended for commissioning at Annual Conference in June. I am really going to be a pastor. I am finally stepping from potentiality into reality. I probably will not find out where I will be serving until April, but for the time being I am excited just to know that I will get to serve.

Snow in March. Predictions of thunder snow. Finding out that I am getting recommended for commissioning. Possibilities of serving a church. Sometimes God simply leaves me in awe.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Yay, congrats, Lauren! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences as a new pastor :)

Sara said...

Big Congrats.
I love your story about the snowballs - it captures the small wonders and everyday kindness that God gives us richly.
All the best,
Sara