Saturday, March 14, 2009

Canine Coping Mechanism

I have never lived alone. I lived with my parents growing up, then moved to the dorms in college. From there I lived in a house with ten students in South Africa and in an apartment with a friend. When I came to seminary, I was paired with another first year who ended up becoming one of my best friends here, and we have shared an apartment for three years. But when I move to Virginia this summer, I'll face a prospect I've never had to deal with before: living alone.

In many ways, the idea of living alone is saddening. I won't have anyone to talk about my day with when I get home. I won't have someone else to help me remember to buy milk, bread, or toilet paper when I'm running low. I won't have someone to worry about me when I don't get home from studying until 1 a.m. But there are a few perks to look forward to: painting my bedroom yellow, having uncontested control of the remote, and, above all, getting a dog.

For as long as I can remember, I have dreamed of having a dog. As a kid, I played with my friends' dogs and wished desperately that I could have one, too. Unfortunately, my family members were allergic to basically any animal with fur or feathers, so my dream was, for many years, an impossibility. I cared for other people's pets while they were out of town and played with my friends' pets whenever I could, just to get my canine fix. Finally, when I was whining about not being able to have a dog for the nine-hundred fifty-first time, my mom found the perfect way to get me to stop complaining. She promised me that one day, when I was living on my own and could have one, she would buy me a dog.

So I waited impatiently through years of dorm life and apartments with pet prohibitions. Now there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel: this summer I'll move somewhere else where maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to have a pet. When I start freaking out about living alone, I take a deep breath and start thinking about dogs. I weigh the options about sizes, breeds, personalities, degrees of drooliness, and dander. I consider what breeds are less allergenic, thereby making it easier for my family to visit me without horrible consequences to their sinuses. I think about who I might get to look after my dog when I go to visit family and friends out of town.

That's right, folks, I combat anxiety about the future by daydreaming about canines. I like to think it's being hopeful, but I have a hunch that the correct word for this reaction is "sad"...

6 comments:

Jill said...

Get a mini-Schnauzer! They are wonderful companions AND hypoallergenic, which I definitely needed :) And check out petfinder.com...that's where we found our dog! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Mixed feelings is what I'd call it -- You're sad about the parts that are ending and getting pumped about the parts that are beginning. And the dog -- oh, you are going to have so much fun. Koko was a Humane Society wonder, five years old, and he's the dearest, funniest, stuffed-animal loving, cicada and cat-poop eating dog I ever. Mostly, though, it sounds like you're being present with the moment. Good work.

Paige said...

Poodles. Completely hypoallergenic and very smart. And they come in a variety of sizes. I know they're froo froo . . . but c'mon, their hair was bred that way so they'd be better at hunting water fowl. They're tougher than they look. =) And waterproof, apparently!

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
Yes living alone will be an adjustment for you. There are positives & negatives about living alone or with others. You will adjust and a dog will help. What a joy and work a dog will be. I await hearing your dog stories. Walking the dog will be a good way to meet people with at least one common interest. Enjoy the remainder of your school year.
Wanda

Kim said...

And not only will you have the dog, but I will remind you to buy toilet paper on our cyber-coffee dates!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am saving my pennies for the dog purchase. It is interesting that your canine coping blog entry generated more comments than any of your other entries that I can remember.

Love, Mom