Thursday, May 12, 2005

T-Shirts and Transitions

I put on my Sociology T-Shirt this morning, only to discover that it had the words "Question Your World" on the back. I was pleased... I hadn't even noticed that there WERE words on the back when I bought it, much less an amazing, stimulating message. So then I got to thinking what a T-Shirt for Interdisciplinary Studies (which doesn't actually exist) would have on the back. I came up with these suggestions:
"I don't understand it either"
"Translation: Indecision Studies"
"Who Says You Can't Have It All?"
"Categorize THAT!"
"Future Owner of a Van Down By the River"
"Knowledge Without Limits"
"Think Outside the Curriculum"
"Wait, I have to get a job after this?"

My last two weeks have been completely shrouded in unreality and I just realized at 4:00 today that the school year is totally over tomorrow. I had been so focused on papers and finals and stuff that I totally missed the coming of the end of school. Even the arrival of finals week didn't snap me out of my reverie. Tomorrow, way before I'm ready, all of my friends who haven't already bid me adeiu will be departing, not to be seen again for 8 months. It's bizarre coming to grips with that sort of separation. In three months nearly all of them will be back, but I won't be here with them. Then I'll return in January for a sort of strange half-life before leaving permanently for seminary.

No comments: