Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Cheeseball? ME?!

I don't really have time today to write a long, coherent post. And besides, writing is not all that appealing to me when I'm in the middle of a 4-paper rush. So, dashing:

-There are only 3 more days of classes left, and I couldn't be more pumped. I'm buried in the writing process for 4 papers, but in 3 days they'll be done, and only four finals will stand between me and break. YAY!

-That said, I'm a bit sad to be departing from school for 8 months. It will be so strange to come back having missed a semester. I'm sad that I won't see my friends from FARC and Wesley and school in general again until December or January. It'll be surreal walking back into my life here after being gone for 8 months. We shall see how that goes.

-I am going to South Africa. I'm going to South Africa. It doesn't quite seem tangible yet, but it gets more real every time I say it, so I just walk around repeating it to myself. I discovered at a meeting the other day that I'm the only student from my 26,000-student school that will be in the country of South Africa when I'm there. On the other hand, I'll be living and traveling with other international students in my program and I actually met someone who used the same program to study in South Africa, so I'm going to get some guidance from her. It'll be nice not to be completely in the dark.

-I need a job that doesn't require me to blacken things on 300 sheets of paper with a Sharpie, I can't afford to lose the brain cells. I think someone just floated past the desk... this can't be good!

-A quick note on the amazing people in my life: The Wombat (who has a name that will not be uttered here) arranged to surprise me with two of my friends from home coming to visit this weekend. One flew out for the weekend, the other drove five hours each way to visit overnight during her finals week. I'm blown away by how cool and kind all three of them are. I'm blessed to have such wonderful people in my life!

-I finally understand why my high school physics teacher called graduation the g-word and tried to avoid it. I realized that a lot of people from school who've had large effects on my life here are graduating now/soon. People who have been examples for me like Mel and Sara are graduating. Friends and confidantes like Chaz and Caleb are taking off. Then the folks that I thought would be around until I graduate are getting out of here early, like Andy and Jenny. It's terribly sad to know that I'll come back to a campus that's missing a bunch of the really cool people who made me love it so much! Then, the most frightening prospect of all, I'm going to graduate and go to graduate school far away, leaving a bunch of people that I care about behind here or going in opposite directions to pursue their futures. For all of you who are graduating, congratulations. But you'd better keep in touch or I might have to find you and superglue phones in your hands so I can reach you!

-I'm not a cheeseball. I have merely decided that boys might not be ALL bad. And maybe one in particular is very not bad. More details on that in another post

-A couple of people have requested song selections and/or soundtracks for me, and I'm in a slight conundrum as to which songs are the most important to include on my list. Any suggestions?

Well, back to killin brain cells. Oooh, green sorority girls flying past the desk...

No comments: