Sunday, December 28, 2003

Parents and Worrying

Well, I'm still working on growing some...erm...guts, but I did something brave today, so life is good. In the meantime, I think I finally got my Christmas shopping done (only four days AFTER the holiday...) and I'm getting to catch up with those wonderful friends who can still remember the stupid mistakes I made when I was younger.

I went shopping with Amy today, which was fabulous, and we got to talking about the growing up thing. She's almost as scared as I am. I guess that everyone who faces an unknown future. Which, I suppose, is everyone. It's just something that's been weighing on my mind a lot lately.

Also, what should you say when your friend is doing something that makes you really worry, but you don't want to offend them by complaining about the action or condemning it, or expressing your fears. I mean, some of my friends have some dangerous habits, or unwise crushes, and I'm not sure how to respond when I hear about them. I just want to point out to them the bad consequences, often inevitable, that they're bringing on themselves. I just want to say, "LOOK! Don't you see that you're hurting yourself? Don't you see that no good can come from this?" But I can't. I'm their friend, and I don't want to hurt them or offend them, but I also don't want to see them get hurt. I guess my place is to just shut my mouth and support them regardless, but sometimes I wish I could do something about the situation. Oh, well.

On a happier note, Amy and I got to talking about all the 'parents' we have. We started listing off all the adults who were like parents to us, and the list got really, really long. I mean, in a small town like ours, we listed our parents, our friends' parents, teachers, people from church... it's almost as though we were community children, raised by all the adults in town. Any person in town over the age of 25 had the authority to discipline you, but also had the right to hug you on sight. I mean, when I went back to church today, I got hugged by at least 10 people who I would consider to be, in a way, parents to me. That, I would have to say, is one of the best things about a small town like ours. I mean... it creates such an amazing sense of belonging and such a warm and comforting atmosphere. There are many things I hate about small towns, but that is one thing I like.

Sometimes, I think my friends can read my mind. My friend Amy knows exactly what I'm talking about all the time, and my friend Dusty can always guess everything that I'm hiding. It's eery. On the other hand, it's also cool.

Anyway, I'm finished with my random ramblings for the evening, so I guess I will go on my way. Goodnight everyone. I must go watch Pretty Woman with my straight, male friend who owns it. (Don't even ask, you really don't want to know.)

No comments: