Thursday, December 16, 2010

Yellow Snow

"And since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

Everything was cancelled today. Work, school, all the things that usually require me to leave my apartment were cancelled. But the snow didn't begin until mid-morning, so a friend came over this morning before the roads got bad, and we spent the day relaxing and watching movies. We both worked a bit, but most of the day was just a bit of Sabbath. I walked Charlie and watched him play in the snow. I cuddled up on the couch and watched movies with a friend. I did some work from the comfort of my home. It was an ordinary day. But it wasn't an ordinary Thursday, and it wasn't what I had planned for the day.

Which made it AWESOME. In the midst of this crazy season, this unexpected day of rest felt like a great gift. On what was scheduled to be a day of hard work and strict deadlines, the snow seemed to soften everything, including those expectations. It's not that there's less to do, the list is just as long with the snow as it is without, but the snow gave me a chance to breathe a bit. It shifted the pace and tone of the work just slightly. And I'm thankful.

No comments: