Friday, December 17, 2010

R.I.P. Emma

On December 1, I was rear-ended. And while the damage to my car seemed minimal in the dark that night, closer inspection in the sunlight the next day revealed significant problems. A week later, my baby, Emma, was declared a "Total Loss".

Emma was my transition car. My previous car, an ancient Buick Century named Jack, died while I was in the middle of moving. So getting Emma marked a significant shift. She was my first grown-up car. I loved having a red car.

I had inherited Jack, so Emma was my first purchased car. She carried me to my first day of full-time work. She transported me to the first wedding and graveside I ever performed. She took me to meet my niece for the first time.

And her final gift to me was safety. Thanks to her safety features and crumple zones, I walked away from the accident with just a little back pain. She hobbled away to the junkyard.

Now I have a replacement. I haven't given it a name yet. I'm not even sure yet if it's a boy or a girl. I'm excited for the adventures we're going to have. But it's bittersweet because I'm still getting over Emma.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.1

No comments: