Sunday, February 01, 2009

Evolution of a Doodle

I have trouble sitting still for hours on end when I have long days of class. Over the years, I discovered that when I doodled, I actually paid better attention and engaged more with the class. So, I started with a highlighter and pen, and made something like this:



Soon I started to make use of all of the pens and highlighters in my backpack to create slightly more complex doodles:



Then I began to try using Sharpies and colored pens, which looked like this:



Finally, two things gave me new inspiration. One was a classmate who brought coloring books and colored pencils to unwind between classes. I started bringing colored pencils and incorporating them in my old doodling scheme. Then I remembered some of the things I used to draw when I was a kid, using colored lines to fill in shapes. That was when I started creating doodles like this:



So, after 7 years of higher education, I've learned to follow my learning style and weaknesses to create something that's actually sort of pretty. My tuition dollars at work, folks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I also could never pay attention without doodling or making random lists (the ultimate Justice League line-up or all the Methodist Churches that would be invited into the World Methodist Communion)
None of my doodles were ever that intricate, however.

CSP said...

I have to say, I really like those, the last one in particular. How big are these? Do you have any more pictures of them?

The word verification thing I had to fill out to leave this comment was "mideverp". I realize that's not a real word, but nevertheless I'm interested what its definition would be if it was.

Allie said...

What I really like about that last doodle is the white corner. I don't know if you ever filled that in. But it makes you look at it and wonder why the corner is unfinished. And then there are all these possibilities. It's like Cannon Chapel that way.