Monday, November 01, 2004

Bizarro World

I would say the stuff about not writing and being really busy and apologizing but, face facts, it's getting really redundant, so I'll just skip it. Consider yourself apologized-to.

I just had the best weekend I've had all semester. I got to run off to Fright Fest (Six Flags) with the Wombat and meet Rachel there and see her for the first time since the summer. It was a blast just talking and hanging out with them all day. Also, I got to go to the Cheesecake Factory for the first time and it was amazing. The whole weekend was like a mini-vacation until I came back on Sunday, which was exactly what I needed. Everything was great until I had to come back and study for a Greek test. With the way the Greek test went, I'm going to start taking tightrope-walking lessons to prepare for my future career.

If I hadn't given up dating, I'd be slightly peeved with some people right now. Do you know those girls who just HAVE to have guys drooling over them and following them around constantly? I know way too many of them and they make me physically ill. I mean, why do they need to have every guy they meet fall head over heals for them? Why can't they just be happy with breaking one heart at a time, instead of having a small collection of men at their fingertips "just in case"? Nearly every one of the guys in my life that I've been interested in has bee interested in some other girl, always one of these heartbreakers. Then these girls have the nerve to complain about their situation. I am incredibly glad that I gave up guys for the time being. I simply don't have the time or energy required to compete with those girls, and I wouldn't win anyway.

As for the rest of life, I'm seriously excited about Thanksgiving break. The week before Thanksgiving is crazy, with three big papers, two quizzes, and a test, but that will make Thanksgiving break even sweeter. I can't wait to go home, see my family, catch up with my buddies, and finally get to relax.

Tomorrow is the big day: THE ELECTION. While my vote has already been cast (behold the wonders of the absentee ballot), I have a few things to say. First: Bush lied to us. He lied to the American people, and I cannot support a leader who doesn't tell truth to the people he represents. Second: I have not been impressed with Bush's actions. His tax cuts made no sense, his education plan stinks, and his foreign policy has made the vast majority of the world hate us. Why would we want four more years of that? Third: Bush passed the USA PATRIOT Act. This is a piece of legislation reminiscent of the years of McCarthyism and the Sedition Acts, making it possible for the government to check citizens' library records and to hold prisoners, without charge or proof, indefinitely at Guantanamo Bay. I cannot vote for any president who would uphold our freedoms like that. It is unconstitutional and dangerous to the freedoms upon which this nation was founded. I have excellent reasons beyond these for voting for Kerry, but I won't preach them here. But regardless of your opinions, get out and vote tomorrow. If you don't use your power to vote, you may as well be a monkey locked up in a zoo. (Which is actually what may happen to you if Bush gets re-elected...) I plan to sit by my TV tomorrow night and monitor this first presidential election I have been able to vote in. You have no idea how excited I am to see democracy at work. This will certainly be an exciting election.

On that note, I'm going to go try to do homework, since I obviously won't be doing any tomorrow... so get out there and VOTE!

No comments: