Friday, November 05, 2004

Fearful Outcome

Well, the election has come and gone with little change to the government. Republicans now hold not only the presidency, but also the majority in Congress. I, for one, am a little frightened by this. I do not have any faith in Bush as president, and I can't bear to think of the freedoms that an executive and legislative together can take away from the citizens in the name of "security" or "morality". We're likely to lose at least one member of the Supreme Court (Rehnquist) and I'm nervous about who will be put on the Court to replace him. It looks like we may soon have every branch of the government in the hands of the Republicans. This is not to say that ALL Republicans are bad, but since I disagree with much of the Republican platform, I think the nation is in trouble. I'm beginning to lose hope and considering going to seminary in another country. That way by the time I get back we'll be ready to have a new president, and this time it CAN'T be Bush again. Maybe we'll actually get someone into office who isn't misogynistic, homophobic, anti-environment, or lacking in essential communication and critical thinking skills. We can hope... (This is where my FBI file will start. Next thing they'll be using the USA Patriot act to look up my library records...)

In other news, I've survived another week of classes. There are only 4 more weeks of classes, which means 20 more Greek classes. I'm looking forward to being done. I'm ready for this semester to be over, so I can relax a bit. For that matter, I'm also desperately looking forward to Thanksgiving break, which is only 2 weeks away. This weekend should be relaxing if I can just get past all of the papers. I have an awesome Wesley movie night, then tomorrow I'm having dinner with the wombat. Nothing big or exciting, but no pressure either. I like the lack of pressure.

There are all sorts of prospective students crawling the campus today, following tour guides, visiting the dorms. They make me sort of dread the grad school admissions process. I really hate wandering around campuses being schmoozed by admissions people and trying to figure out if I like the school while being looked at like an alien by the current students. I hate trying to figure out whether the school runs liberal or conservative, whether it is a hotbed of misogyny or feminism, whether I could fit in socially (as one of the youngest students EVERYWHERE). I don't want to be that outsider awkwardly trying to get a sense of the campus through the admissions office and the tour. It's a lot of pressure, but it's also pretty cool to have that kind of open-ended freedom. I can go anywhere I want to any school I want, provided I can get in. It's a cool feeling to have an open plain ahead of you, waiting to be explored.

But for now, I'm not going to explore or do anything else, I'm going to go eat pizza. Happy Friday everyone!

No comments: