Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad...

This has not been a great week. In fact, it has been a discouraging week filled with people complaining about things. I really, really dislike it when people complain about things, particularly when the complaints are not said in kindness and not accompanied by suggestions for improvement. This sort of thing always leaves me frustrated, discouraged, and tired.

It's on weeks like this that I fantasize about throwing in the towel and moving to Tahiti, or giving up this job for something like collecting trash, which doesn't involve working with people. It's weeks like this, when I spend more time working overtime than I do sleeping, that I think, "Wouldn't it be nice if I could have an hourly-wage job where I could go home at the end of a shift and actually stop thinking about work for a few hours."

Yes, folks, it has been one of those weeks.

Fortunately, these weeks are few and far between. Most of the time I like my job. But on weeks like this, I find it annoying to have to hold up a professional, moral standard of conduct. It would be so nice, at least in the moment, to respond to the vitriol spewed at me with equally venomous comments. Unfortunately, that is not an option.

Instead, I choose: singing. Yup, singing. I find the angry songs in my CD collection, and those that speak of lovely escapism, and I sing away the frustration. I get into my car and blast music that matches my mood. It is, really, the response of the angsty teenager. But when the alternative is shouting at the people who drive me crazy, angsty teenager is infinitely preferable.

So, my suggested playlists:
Want to throw something at a client or co-worker?
"Bad Reputation" - Halfcocked
"One Girl Revolution" - Superchick
"Just a Girl" - No Doubt
"Stay Home" - Self
"Defying Gravity" - Wicked
"Dumb Girl" - Lucy Woodward
"Just You Wait" - My Fair Lady
Anything from Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill album

Want to run away to Tahiti?
"Some Beach" - Blake Shelton
"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" - Alan Jackson
"Take Me Away" - Fefe Dobson
"Bye-bye" - Jo Dee Messina

May your week be less painful than mine, and may you find these songs, or some of your own, helpful on your less-than-pleasant days!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Want me to come punch someone?

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

Yeah, I am totally having one of those weeks as well. One of those weeks where I just want to walk around in sunglasses all the time so no one can make eye contact with me.