Friday, June 05, 2009

Transition Notches

Today the church administrator called to ask if I have room in my schedule to officiate a wedding in October. As I listened to her message in my voicemail, my breath caught. I envisioned myself in a robe, joining two people in marriage. This transition from school to ministry has sort of been happening for me in fits and starts. The whole thing will feel totally unreal for a week or so, then something like this will happen and suddenly things click another notch toward reality. It happened in Licensing School when I placed my dripping hand on the head of a baby and said, "In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit," and again as I received communion from my bishop. It sank in a little more when I received my degree from the hand of the dean. It clicked another notch as I met with the SPR at the church where I'll work, and as I was introduced by my predecessor as the new associate. Today, with a wedding penciled into my calendar, it clicked in another notch: I'm a pastor.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

FYI, there will be many times over the next year where you will think to yourself, "How am I qualified in any way to do this?"

In some cases, the answer is: you're at least more qualified than other people are. In most cases, the answer is: you're not. But no one is except God, so perhaps God should be in charge.

I know I've said it before, but I'm excited to see you grow into the role of commissioned (and eventually ordained) minister.

Jill said...

Amen! Gotta love these little "notches"....and they will continue to come! Have fun with it :)

Unknown said...

Erik and I talk about this all the time, but he's right. I have moments at least once a week when I can't believe people trust me with this.