Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Commissioned

This week I attend Annual Conference for the first time in my new conference. I met tons of people, sat through a lot of sessions, and ate several banquets. The experience was surprisingly fun; almost everyone I met was warm and welcoming. Despite some troubling comments during the discussions of legislation, Conference confirmed for me that I am in the right place for my ministry.

On Monday night, I put on my robe, filed onto the platform at Annual Conference alongside my colleagues, and knelt for commissioning. When my turn came, the Bishop and one of my mentors laid their hands on my head, and my mom stood behind me with her hands on my shoulders, and the Bishop prayed for my ministry. My family and the people from the conference who have guided and supported me in the process stood in support. Then the bishop officially commissioned us for ministry. My parents cried. I tried to look serene in light of the somber occasion, but I ended up grinning. As intimidating as these first steps are, I'm joyful.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I am so proud of you! Congratulations! You will without a doubt be a gift to the Methodist Church! They don't yet know how lucky they are to have you!

Unknown said...

Hooray!

Angie said...

Congratulations!