Saturday, November 29, 2008

Dashing Toward Change

- This week I went back to my home town for what is probably my last Thanksgiving break for a long time. As we drove through town, I was AMAZED at the changes that have occurred in my absence. Along Main Street, where there used to be an old building and a vacant lot, there is now a McDonald's, complete with golden arch sign and drive-thru window. The old pharmacies that I visited as a child are gone, and their services have been replaced by a new Rite Aid store. I never thought that McDonalds would invade my hometown, so it was bizarre to see it across the street from the old brick post office.

- On my way home, I ended up on a flight with a high school classmate of mine that I hadn't seen in several years. I had a great time catching up with her, talking with her about the tension between home and school, and chatting about what our other classmates have been up to lately.

- The school I attended for K-12 has been bulldozed since last I visited so that its sign now marks an empty lot. Behind the empty lot sits a brand-new school building, one I campaigned for while I was in high school and dreamed of as I sat in the not-air-conditioned ancient brick building. Instead of a dungeon-like art room that had once been used as a locker room, the new building has a real art classroom. It has a stage twice the size of the old one and auditorium chairs that are actually *gasp* comfortable! Yes, the new building is infinitely better than the ancient building where I was educated, where large chunks of the facade sometimes fell onto the desks in the classrooms during storms. Still, seeing that the building where I spent 13 years of my life is gone was a bit of a shock.

- My sister got married last weekend. I have never seen her more beautiful or happier. While the ceremony was not what I would have chosen, the music was incredible. And, although I already miss our time being kids and teenagers together and hanging out one on one, I found myself giddy as I watched my sister so obviously joyful and in love. It was wonderful to see so much of my family (especially the awesome ones from Denver that I hardly ever get to see!), and to get to be part of such a big moment in my sister's life. Plus, I got a pretty cool brother-in-law out of the deal.

1 comment:

Rikki said...

They bulldozed our school? How sad! I haven't seen the new one yet but I really want to. Yeah, our little hometown has had some major changes this part year. I think I'm very happy with them but it does make it strange "going home" especially since my parents are trying to sell their house.

I'm dying to know which of our classmates was on your flight!