Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Acknowledgements

*When a book is published, the author has the opportunity to include acknowledgements of people who have helped in the making of the book or the author's life. I may never be a published author, but I'm about to complete something that took a lot of work and thought and time, and there have been people and groups that have helped and supported along the way. This entry is my way of recognizing them.*

First, and probably most importantly, I want to thank my family. They made college possible financially, logistically, and emotionally. They paid, edited, organized, drove, moved boxes, listened, and contributed in so many other ways that I can't even begin to list them here. For all your support and help, thanks.

Second, and the first people I really encountered at college, the people of FARC. When I moved to college, I went 8 hours away from my family to a place where I didn't know a single person. FARC became my home away from home. Over the years, the students who lived in FARC became my friends, challenged my thoughs and beliefs through conversations and lifestyles, worked by my side, shared food with me, helped me study, taught me to laugh, love, and appreciate, and stretched and molded me into a more mature, confident, and open-minded person than I had ever been before. Thanks.

Third, I must mention the people of the Wesley Foundation Campus Ministry. I was nervous and lonely when I walked up the stairs to the Wesley Center the first time, but once there, I never felt out of place again. Rev. Mike and several generations of Peer Ministers guided my spiritual growth and facilitated mission and fellowship opportunities. The students who took part in mission trips, Midweeks, Sunday Suppers, WOWs, and Bible Studies became my friends. Thanks for everything. I love you guys.

Next, I want to recognize all the professsors, administrators, and school staff that made the campus less formidable for me. Professors challenged me to work harder and think more deeply and broadly. Residential Life staff like Kris, Ashley A., Chris C., and Ben W. gave me opportunities to work and develop skills while encouraging me to be my best. The staff of the Student Success Center and Learning Center, including Irene, Alice, Deb, Bina, and Terri welcomed me and made it possible for me to teach other students.

Furthermore (sorry, I'm running out of transition words!), I want to thank the random folks I've encountered on campus, in classes, in other student organizations, and through friends that have shared strange, terrible, and amazing experiences with me. There are too many to list you individually, but you know who you are.

While most of these people are in Missouri, I also need to thank the wonderful people of my hometown who have supported me from across the country. Whether through phone calls, e-mails, or kind words when I'm at home, you have made it possible for me to be brave and go beyond my comfort zone in the knowledge that I'd have a welcoming home to which to return. So, thank you to my friends from home, whether from high school, through my family, through the church, or through the community at large.

And speaking of church, I have to thank all of my guides in the ministry process. I have finally been named a certified candidate for United Methodist Ministry, and I could never have done it without you. Sarah, you amaze and inspire me daily. Wayne, thanks for your care, guidance, and support. Mike, thanks for challenging me and giving me opportunities to serve.

There are inevitably many important people who have been left out of this list. For everyone else who has supported me, challenged me, helped me to complete my degree, and transformed me into the person I am today, thank you. I hope I will someday be able to do as much for you as all of you have done for me.

No comments: