Thursday, April 14, 2005

Current Events

Yeah, it's been two weeks since my last post, which makes me feel a little like a tool. And, again, I could list all of my excuses for not writing, but who wants to hear that?

Castle!
In case you missed the celebrations and tours, KJ, Chris, Kevin and I completed our castle. We built a 4x8x6 ft. castle out of PVC pipe and cardboard. Then we put paper on the walls and painted it in fun and exciting ways. It was an incredibly fun process and it makes me really happy to think about having a castle. I know, I'm a kindergartener, but you wouldn't want it any other way. Or I like to think you wouldn't.

Country-hopping
It's official, I'm GOING TO SOUTH AFRICA! Three months from today, I'll be in Cape Town to study and do my capstone, and I'm SO excited. I should be terrified (the study abroad information session told me so) but I'm just not feeling the apprehension yet. Of course, I'm sure I'll be terrified when the time comes, but for the moment, I'm more excited than I can even explain. I'm off to get books on RSA tonight, so watch out for me to start spewing facts about South Africa at every opportunity.

Countdown
I always feel like I'm counting down to something, but I can't help it, I'm almost always excitedly looking forward to something. Anyway, the current countdowns are for the end of the school year (4 weeks!) and South Africa (2.5 months!) Not to mention that between now and my departure for RSA, I've got two trips to Cedar Point, a family vacation to the east coast, Ohio UM Annual Conference, and my Emmaus Walk. I'm incredibly psyched.

Chasing the skirt?
It has come to my attention recently (brought up in several conversations in different contexts)that most of my friends in college can count on one hand the number of times they've seen me in skirts. There are several reason for this:
1) Skirts aren't very comfortable, particularly in the winter. Pantyhose SUCK, so I nearly always refuse to wear skirts in the winter. I occasionally wear skirts in the summer, but they're still more effort than pants.
2) I want to be able to take off running, climbing, or frolicking at a moment's notice. This is not to say that I run often, but I can't stand the idea of having my actions limited by clothing. I think this stems from elementary school when I didn't want to wear skirts because I wouldn't be able to play freely during recess. Somehow that mindset has stuck with me WAY past the years of recess, but there you have it.
3) If clothes are really a form of self-expression (usually for me expressing laziness), skirts simply do not express who I am. I'm not girly enough to wear a skirt to express myself. It doesn't fit my personality.
4) If guys don't have to wear skirts, why do I have to?
So, I wear skirts only when the occasion calls for it specifically. I have resolved, however, to wear a skirt once in a while just to show that I do, in fact, have legs. After all, when my closest friends start to doubt the presence of my appendages, something is wrong. So, by special request, skirts.

No comments: