Monday, January 31, 2005

And Every Woman You Meet is Lauren Whitetoes

I went to Iowa this past weekend. I had never been to Iowa before and, while it has gotten a terrible reputation for being boring, I wanted to go. I have to say, Iowa was much better than what people had led me to believe. I'll admit, a lot of it is farmland which isn't all that pretty in the winter, but Iowa City is a pretty cool place. Above all, I really liked the people I saw there. All of them, even the strangers, seemed really friendly. The main purpose of my visit, though, was to hang out with a girl that I worked with this summer who is now a really good friend. It was awesome to see her, to talk with her about life and faith and school and the future. She, like me, feels that Christianity is growing more conservative and we both fear that this will lead to less tolerance and more divisiveness within the church. Both of us feel like our lives are split in half between our Christian friends and our non-Christian friends. It's a scary prospect, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one who fears this. It was also really good to get to reminisce and rehash things from this summer with someone who was there. Yay!

The travel to and from Iowa was also fun, as I got to ride with Ashley. The two of us listened to the wonderful music that we had been addicted to in junior high. Talk about quality stuff. We had a great time laughing over our former love for 'N Sync and Celine Dion. It was incredibly fun.

In short, I wish to defend the reputation of the state of Iowa. It's a pretty cool place, after all, with exceptionally cool people like Shoeless Ho, Ashley, and KJ.

More later, for now I'm off to, you guessed it, church.

No comments: