Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Week and a Year

A year ago this week I was in Atlanta, madly throwing my belongings into boxes, getting ready to get commissioned at Annual Conference, and spending every spare second with my seminary friends. I was in the midst of transitions: finishing school, leaving my friends, moving several states away, starting a new job... Everything was in flux, and I didn't have a concrete role or identity.

Now, 360-some days later, I've spent almost a year in ministry. This week, instead of packing things away, I put them up. After almost a year, I finally put my framed diplomas on the wall of my office. Something about having diplomas on my wall made me feel grown-up and professional. And it's ironic, really, because I've been "grown-up" and professional for a year. But somehow the diplomas grant credibility. Which was helpful, this week especially.

This week I did nearly all of my pastoral duties. Last weekend I led three worship services, presided over communion three times, and preached one of the services. This week I assisted with a funeral, and this weekend I conducted a wedding. I did hospital visits and presided over meetings, studied Scripture and talked with clergy colleagues. And, until I stopped to think about it, it seemed natural and normal.

But when I stop and compare where I was last year with where I am now, I'm amazed. How did I reach the point where it seems almost normal to be preaching, administering the sacraments, and conducting weddings and funerals? Did one year really bring all this change? Did it transform my life this much? Of course, then answer is yes. In one year, I've taken some huge steps in my pastoral identity. I've become a pastor with books on my shelves, diplomas on the wall, robes in the closet, and ministry experiences behind me.

I'm not there yet, of course, I have a long way to go, a lot of learning and growing still ahead of me. But as I near the one-year mark in my ministry, I'm amazed by the transformation so far.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

While you would have had to change some words and a name or two this m=post could have totally been about my year in the navy so far.

K. Toole said...

It is a privilege to watch you grow into your ministry. I don't use the word 'all' very freely, but I think I can safely say we are all glad you started out at BAUMC.

sanctifyingsarah said...

And of course in this year we have made new friends that have been a great answer to prayer.

Jill said...

Amen! That is all ;)