Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What Didn't Make the Toast

There, in the white dress, is the girl who stood up for me to the bully at the babysitter's house in kindergarten. That's the girl who helped me survive the bugs, homesickness, heat, and long, dark, nighttime walks to the outhouse at Girl Scout Camp. She's the one who taught me to wear makeup and to curl my hair for showchoir, the one who helped me when I forgot my dance steps or the dance briefs to wear under my dress.

Under that veil is my doubles partner, who covered the backhand side of the court, talked me down when my serves were off, yelled "Alons-y!" to get ready for the match, and cried with me when we lost our last match and were eliminated at sectionals our senior year. She's my study buddy: I corrected her spelling and she checked my equations, we stayed up late working on group projects and homework. We giggled together backstage during musicals, drilled each other on lines for our plays, and whispered answers to one another during quiz bowl matches. And even though we've lived in different places for seven years now, we're still close. We still call each other after rough days and to share giggles.

Congratulations, best friend. You've grown up beautifully, and I'm happy for you, Mrs.

But remember, he's your partner in life, but I'm still be your partner in tennis and in mischief.

1 comment:

sanctifyingsarah said...

No wonder you keep getting asked to be in weddings.