Friday, April 04, 2008

Light on Rain

"River in the rain, sometimes at night you look like a long, wide train, winding your way away somewhere. River, I love you, don't you care?"- Big River, "River in the Rain"

There's something about rainy nights that intrigues me. The light on the rain in the dark makes the air seem to glisten. The glowdrops swirling through the air become a Van Gogh painting moving all around me. Every surface shimmers in the lamplight, as though covered in gold glitter. Puddles of obsidian appear everywhere, glistening when the breeze disturbs their serenity. And when the raindrops pound their surface, they bubble effusively as though unable to contain their emotion, and I'm never sure if it's mirth or rage.

I know this weather inspires me to write, and I suppose it must be the same for many people, because there are tons of pieces of music about this weather, whether drizzle or storms. So, in the spirit of April showers, here are some of my favorites:

"Please Call Me, Baby" - Tom Waits
"Stormy Weather" - Joni Mitchell
"Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" - B.J. Thomas
"Grey Street" - Dave Matthews Band
"River in the Rain" - Big River
"Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers
"Africa" - Toto
"Famous Last Words" - Billy Joel

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You get points for the Bill Withers song.

CSP said...

Aren't you afraid of thunder?

Lauren said...

I'm not afraid of thunder, I'm afraid of lightning. But I feel much safer when I'm in the city (where there are always much taller things around to hit than my residence) than I did when I lived in the middle of nowhere.