Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sending Forth

Today was the sending forth service at my seminary. We gathered in the chapel to worship together one last time. I sat in the chapel, listening to the words and music echoing through the space, surrounded by a beautiful cloud of witnesses. My parents sat by my side, and I looked around the room at the faces of the students and professors who have touched my life for the last three years. I am thankful for them.

I served communion for the service, so I got to wear a robe and share the body of Christ with my friends. One of my favorite professors, a man who has inspired, challenged, and guided me in incredible ways over the last three years, came up to receive the sacrament, and I almost cried as I held out the chalice to him. I almost cried when my several of my friends came up and hugged me after receiving. But then my father, a devout Catholic who never takes communion in Protestant services, came up to allow me to serve him communion, and my composure cracked. As I looked into my father's eyes and held the chalice out to him, as I glanced at my mother's tear-streaked face while she watched our interchange, the tears began to flow. And in that moment, it finally started feeling real. The fact that I'm graduating, leaving my beloved seminary community, and becoming a pastor finally began to click. It was a powerful moment of connection, of family, community, and faith. As my parents laid hands on me and the dean spoke a blessing over the graduates, suddenly I felt the power of being sent forth into the world to serve. I really hope I'm up to the challenge. God, give me strength.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a powerful story of sacramental unity. I can only imagine the depth of the connection you and your father had last night -- it will surely be a holy moment you remember the rest of your life.

Right now, you're probably processing in to Emory commencement on the Frisbee field. In a few short hours, you'll officially be a Candler alum. In a few months, you'll be a pastor. And you are ready. Trust me: Candler has prepared you well, and you are ready.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

You know what I really admire? When some ever so brave person anonymously posts some garbage comment in response to a beautiful post about someone they don't know.
Lauren, you are going to make a wonderful pastor. You will run up against angry, uninformed people throughout your ministry. Pray for them, then ignore them.
Both Erik and I are pastors, and the most awesome people you know, and we give you our stamp of approval.

Rev. Sarah C. Evans said...

You are such a good pastor.
You are not "drowning in the shallow end."
You are standing there, in the water, ready, you know, to help them see that grace that has been with them all along.
May the holy moments that you are privileged to witness continue to astound and amaze and bless you.