Sunday, May 17, 2009

Here I Am




I went to the beach this week with several of my seminary classmates. For several days, we read on the beach, swam in the Atlantic, swam in the pool, lounged in the hot tub, laughed, cooked, and played Wii. In the midst of that relaxation, we also shared a simple worship service. We read Scripture, prayed, sang hymns, and shared a love feast. As we broke bread together, I looked into the faces of people who have shaped my life and my faith for the last three years. I looked at the empty spaces around the table and thought of my other friends from seminary, those who have already moved away and those who could not join us this week, and thought of the ways that those missing have influenced my life as well.

As we sang "Here I Am, Lord," I was struck by the power of the moment. For three years I have been surrounded by people who are, without a doubt, called by God to serve in powerful ways. And they have answered that call with courage and commitment. They have pursued education to equip them for service, and they have sought opportunities to serve where they felt the Spirit leading them. They have been blessed with skills and talents that I know will enable them to do incredible things, and they are going forth to use those blessings with passion and wisdom. I am honored to know them and be able to call them my friends.

When God called, we replied, "Here I am. Send me." Now we go where God leads us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful moment you all shared. Never forget how blessed you are to be able to have a chance to say goodbye.