Saturday, May 23, 2009

Licensing School

This week I'm at Licensing School. This is, in my opinion, a little strange, since I spent three years in seminary. But my conference requires everyone who is taking an appointment for the first time to attend licensing school. So, I'm spending nine days reviewing the more practical parts of all the things I learned in seminary.

It's slightly strange because, of the forty-ish people who are present, there are only perhaps four who are single--and we're all young and female. Most everyone else talks a lot about their spouses, kids, and grandkids. Today we were asked what the greatest blessing in our lives is, and nearly everyone said their spouse and/or children. I felt a little like a kindergartener. And it doesn't help that there are giant Adirondack chairs all over the place on the campus where we're staying. So, at the moment I'm sitting in an enormous chair, feeling like I'm not only young, but also small. I don't really mind, but it doesn't really help with claiming pastoral authority.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lame. I'm so glad MS considers three years of seminary a reasonable substitute for a week of classes.

Jill said...

Yeah, that is lame! Sorry you have to go through that. Maybe at least you'll make some new friends?? :)

Anonymous said...

Another hoop jumped through. Sometimes they make no sense at all.

Would you like to share your greatest blessing? I know I probably would say family, especially Daniel. Those answers change as we have more experiences in our lives. Experience doesn't necessarily come with age.

Question for thought: Where does pastoral authority come from? No response needed. I don't believe it comes from age, size etc. I believe it comes from God and His calling on your life. All this other - schooling, meetings etc is like the wrapping paper and bows on a gift. Just something to add to the most important thing that is found inside.

Have great week!!

Wanda