Thursday, January 13, 2005

"I am all astonishment!"

Desk
I'm beginning to feel as though I actually live at the MT desk. I haven't gone an entire 12 hour period in the last four days when I haven't been at the desk at some point. I'm heartily sick of being there. Of course, I write this as I sit at the desk, where I have been since before 7 a.m. Perhaps I should just move a cot into the back room and take up residence here so that it's more convenient. I'll ask my boss.

Jane Austen
The hours that I have been free from desk work have been mostly boring since very few people are in town yet and in order to do any more paperwork, I have to make appointments and go see administrators and stuff. So, I have filled my time reading, doing puzzles and watching movies of Jane Austen novels. While this is quite enjoyable, it has one unfortunate consequence: I have begun to speak like a character out of a Jane Austen novel. I've picked up words and phrases from the movies and, unless I think carefully about it, I run around saying things like, "I can't abide it!" or "I'm all astonishment!" I definitely need to get out more.

Recommendations
Does anyone else hate asking for recommendations letters? You have to track people down that you aren't usually that close to, then ask them to write nice things about you. It feels to me like the ultimate fishing for compliments. The conversations always seem awkward, something like this:

Me: Hi! Do you remember me? I was in your .... class. It was a great class, really changed my outlook and challenged me. I loved your lecture style!
Prof: I'm glad you enjoyed it.
(awkward pause...)
Me: So, um, how are you?
Prof: I'm doing well, albeit busy. I just finished my syllabus for this semester, then I need to prepare things on WebCT and meet with the other faculty in the department to prepare for the guest lecturers we're expecting this spring. What have you been up to?
Me: The usual. Preparing for classes this semester. I finished all of my gen. eds., so now I'm working on the upper-level classes in my major. Also, I'm putting together my application so I can study in South Africa next semester.
Prof: Oh, really?
(awkward pause...)
Me: Yes, I'm really hoping to be able to go. I want to study sociology and do a service-learning capstone.
Prof: That sounds exciting.
Me: Yes. (More awkward pausing...) I know you're really busy, but would you be willing to write a recommendation for my application?
(Professor gets pained look, knowing that he/she is incredibly busy and has neither the time nor the inclination, but meanwhile feels obligated as an academic professional to consent to such action. Meanwhile, student gets uncomfortable-looking semi-begging-mixed-with-tight-smile, trying to keep eye contact for the guilt-factor.)
Prof: Well, yes, I suppose I could do that.
Me: Oh, thank you so much! Here's the form (hands Prof. packet filled with difficult questions.) It's due in two weeks, so if you could do it as soon as possible, I'd appreciate it.
Prof: (with weary, tired, annoyed look) Yes, I'll do that.
Me: Thank you so much!!! (exit, stage left)
Prof: Aw, hell. Another one. Why did I take this job? (fade out)

Talk about discomfort! Why do academic institutions insist on having recommendations when they know it causes both student and teacher such irritation? I am most seriously displeased.

But for now, I'm off to wrap up my desk shift (ick) then off to talk to a professor about a recommendation letter (double ick!) and then I'm going back to bed (YAY!!!!).

No comments: