Wednesday, January 05, 2005

2004: The Year in Review (Stolen)

"2004: The Year in Review"
I definitely stole this form, but as long as I give credit it's not academic dishonesty, right? Ack. Too much college. Anyway, this is my year in review, brought to you commercial free by Clark (see links)

1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Held a (temporary) full-time job. Got promoted (different job). Went to South America.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year: Lose 10 pounds (nope) and be braver (yeah, kinda). This year: Lose 10 pounds (that'll probably be my resolution every year until I die) and have spiritual time daily (at least this is something that might be achieved).

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Aunt Eunice. Betsy. It was awful.

5. What countries did you visit?
Peru. It was fan-freaking-tastic. Only 3 continents to go.

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
A clue. I would definitely like to have a clue for once.

7. What date(s) from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Feb. 14: I hate Valentine's Day, but I have to admit it was pretty fun.
March-whichever-day-I-got-my-ASP-call: I walked around on a cloud all day.
June-August: I can't pick a day, every day on staff was amazing and I remember every one!
September 19: Insanity on a platter.
October 28: Six Flags with two of my favorite people ever.
December 18: Al finally makes an appearance at MY school!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Completing ASP summer staff. It was seriously hard core.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not staying in better touch with people.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing worth mentioning.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
With other people's money? Lumber and a septic-tank-cleaning.
With my money? Probably the pair of jeans I'm wearing.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hmmm... The nominees for this award are:
Ashley: for incredible courage and the exploration of Mexico.
KJ: for her performances as cheerful accomplice, playground buddy, and appendix chauffer.
Wombat: for slow deshellification, late-night studying, butt-saving, life support, and the stolen pants.
Bear: for hilarious incorrigible behavior and an endless supply of hot wings.
Prew Prew: Because no one else is quite like you. Or even remotely in your end of the spectrum, for that matter.
Clark: For facing *gasp* the real world and cracking me up while you did it.
Rachel: Perry and Lee counties will never be the same, and neither will we.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mr. Darcy because he is unfortunately ABSENT. Brother Jed, who continues to make all Christians look bad. W (enough said).

14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel and food, but it was worth it.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being on ASP staff!!! Seeing my favorite people again after long absences. HP6: tH-BP!

16. What songs will always remind you of 2004?
Beware, it's a LOOOOONG list:

"Hey Ya" ~Outkast
"Both Sides Now" ~Joni Mitchell
"Ain't No Sunshine" ~Bill Withers
"Walk Down This Mountain" ~Bebo Norman
"Redneck Woman" ~ Gretchen Wilson
"Short Skirt/Long Jacket" ~Cake
"Stacy's Mom" ~Fountains of Wayne
"No Sex" ~Chris Rock
"Jump in the Line" ~Harry Belafonte
"Accidentally in Love" ~Counting Crows
"Sweetest Goodbye" ~Maroon 5
"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" ~Poison
"Friday I'm in Love" ~The Cure
"Dumb Girls" ~Lucy Woodward
"Emmanuel" ~Michael W. Smith
"Christmas Song" ~Dave Matthews Band
"Here With Me" ~Dido
"Safety Dance" ~Men Without Hats
"Constant Sorrow" ~Oh Brother, Where Art Thou Soundtrack
"College Kids" ~Relient K
"Down On the Corner" ~Creedence Clearwater Revival
"A Hazy Shade of Winter" ~Simon and Garfunkel
"Open Book" ~Cake
"The Luckiest" ~Dave Matthews
"Sell Out" ~Reel Big Fish

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
About the same, I guess. Maybe sadder because my break is shorter.
ii. richer or poorer?
Richer. (Having a real job helps this a great deal)

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Really talked with people. Read more good books. Played sports.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wasted less time, spent less money.

Skipping 20, 21 was missing...

22. Did you fall in love in 2004?
Nope. Loved people like I always do, but didn't fall in.

23. How many one-night stands?
Sadly, none.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Umm... Didn't really watch enough TV to have one. Probably Saved by the Bell reruns.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Can't think of anyone.

26. What was the best book you read?
Ouch. Probably Grace by Mary Cartledgehayes.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Cake, Reel Big Fish, and Dave Matthews Band. I'm a little slow on the uptake.

28. What did you want and get?
An iPod and the ASP job.

29. What did you want and not get?
Clarity on decisions.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Saved

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to the playground wearing a tiara and a boa, played in the sprinklers, and ate cake. I turned a very mature 20 years old.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I got nothing.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
The "I don't really care" jeans and T-shirt combination, with optional dirt and stink during ASP and additional sweatshirt for October-December

34. What kept you sane?
Too late for that. Seriously, though, probably the Wombat.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
It's a toss-up between Colin Firth and Hugh Jackman: I like tall, dark, older men with accents.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Poverty. We need to take care of the people we have. Welfare, with the current reforms, is doing more harm than good. We need to fix unemployment and provide real food, shelter, and health care for ALL American citizens.

37. Who did you miss?
I missed the Ohio people when I was in Missouri, the Missouri people in Ohio, family when I was at school, and ASP people when I was elsewhere. In short, I was always missing someone.

38. Who were the best new people you met?
ASP Staffers, people in Lee Co., VA, and the FARC freshies.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
"Dirty" is relative.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Two: yin and yang of my year.

"So walk down this mountain with your heart held high
Follow in the footsteps of your Maker
With this love that's gone before you and these people at your side,
If you offer up your broken cup you will taste the meaning of this life.

It's a common ground and I see we're all still standing.
Just look around and you'll find the very face of God
He's walking down into the distance
He's walking down to where the messes are." ~Bebo Norman, "Walk Down This Mountain"

"But now it's just another show
And you leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care don't let them know
Don't give yourself away

I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take and still somewhow
It's love's illusions that I recall
I really don't know love at all.

Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say I love you right out loud.
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way.

Ah but now old friends they're acting strange
And they shake their heads and they tell me that I've changed
Well something's lost and something's gained in living every day

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all." ~Joni Mitchell "Both Sides Now"

No comments: