Sunday, January 09, 2005

Broken Trees

Ice
Power has finally been restored to my hometown. Due to a huge ice storm last week, the town lost power for four days. This meant that some people had no heat, some had no water, and some people had enormous generators. I had never realized how many people in our tiny village actually own massive, noisy generators. It's really befuddling. The most bewildering thing about this, though, is how quiet and dark it can be, even with a lot of people around, when there's no power. I drove down Main St. (yes, like all good tiny towns, my hometown has a Main St.) at night, and it was bizarre to see no lights in people's windows, no lit-up signs for stores or businesses, and no street lamps. It was eerily quiet and still, as though everyone had retreated into the backs of their homes, leaving the whole place deserted. If you ever want to see what your home town would look like through the lens of a slasher movie, wait until the power goes out. It's bizarre.

Decorating
My former roommate has moved out to study next semester in Greece (lucky her!) and I have been left with a dorm room all to myself (lucky me!!). Now I have to figure out how I'm ever going to make the room not seem too empty. I need to decorate the walls on the other half of the room, plus I have to decide if I want to use the spare bed as a couch or bungee-cord the two beds together and have a queen-size. Any suggestions on this front, whether quotes to hang on my walls or good places to get posters or votes for queen-bed vs. couch would be appreciated. (Do I sound like a campus survey yet?)

Anyway, I can't wait to see you school folk again. COME BACK AND RESCUE ME FROM EMPTY-DORM BOREDOM!!!!!

No comments: