Monday, December 10, 2012

Advent, Day 9

Psalm 126; Isaiah 40:1-11; Romans 8:22-25

I am so impatient, O God.
I want to know what will happen, what joy you will bring.
It was a heavy weekend, with a memorial service for one,
and a service of remembrance for many.
Now it is Monday,
and I am greeted by messages of stress and strain,
words that challenge and bear down on my heart.
The tasks to do are numerous,
and I long to crawl back into bed and ignore them.
But the Psalms speak of joy.
They speak of laughter and joy to come.
And so I pray, with them:
"Lord, change our circumstances for the better."
Bind up my broken places.
Breathe your Spirit of inspiration and strength
into my downtrodden and weary soul.
Give me hope in you,
so that, while I go out lamenting and carrying my to-do list,
I will come home with joyful exclamations and completed tasks,
enjoying the fruits you have borne in my ministry. Amen.

No comments: