Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Advent, Day 3

Psalm 90; 2 Samuel 7:18-29; Revelation 22:12-16

Holy God,
You are alpha and omega,
the first and the last,
the beginning and the end.
You are eternal, omnipotent, limitless.
Who am I that you pay attention to me?
I am human, mortal, limited.
I am dust, a temporary speck in the enormity of the universe.
I am not as large as the whale or the elephant.
I am not as old as the mountains or the oceans.
I am not as bright as the stars, nor as powerful as the winds.
I am not as wise as the sages, nor as pure of heart as the children.
I am mere flesh and bone.
I am ordinary.
But still you, Creator of All, Eternal God, Cosmic Lord, make note of me.
You listen to my voice, you know my thoughts,
you reach out to me with grace.
That is the joy of the incarnation.
That is what we anticipate in this Advent season.
That is what we celebrate at Christmas.
We give thanks because
You are Emmanuel, God-with-us.

You became limited, mortal, flesh and bone,
to reach out to all humanity with your love.
I stand in awe because

You are Jesus Christ, God-with-me.
You became limited, mortal, flesh and bone,
to reach out to me, even me, with your love.
Remind me, O Lord, of who you are.
Turn my heart,
so that instead of asking, "Who am I that you pay attention to me?"
I will sing, "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation!"
Teach me, each day, to praise You,
Almighty God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: