Thursday, April 23, 2009

Completely Classless

Me: I went to my last class today. I mean, my last class possibly EVER. It's weird.
Dad: So, you're classless?
Me: Yes. I'm totally classless. I have no class.
Dad: Wow.

For the first time in my memory, there are not classes on the horizon. After two decades of education, I'm done with going to classes. I'm done with lectures, group presentations, discussion groups, colloquies, and seminar groups. I'm done taking notes, cramming, and taking exams. And, to tell you the truth, I'm not really excited about that fact. Sure, there's relief at not having to worry about attendance points or participation grades. But I love school. I love learning and discussing ideas. And I love the academic setting of growing with classmates and being guided by teachers and professors. I love being in a place where the main purpose of the work is sharing ideas. I will miss those things. I'm tired of worrying about grades and assignments, but I'm going to miss learning in a classroom context.

At this point, leaving the school community and my friends is too surreal to contemplate. For now, I'll just keep humming, "School's out for summer. School's out forever..."

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations!! I know it seems scary, but think of all those times you dreamed of getting through everything and on with the real world!!

And if it's worth anything - pastor's are never really "done" with class. And there will always be education opportunities to take advantage of part time and on sabbaticals!!

Unknown said...

I concur. Never let yourself be "classless" as a pastor. Always have continuing ed opportunities on the horizon. Always be engaged in teaching classes, or sitting in on classes that others teach in your congregation, because there's always discussion to be had and thoughts to be shared in any congregation! Pastors are never too cool for school!

Anonymous said...

Another option for discussion will be meeting with other pastors wherever you are living. I do understand missing the classroom setting. I remember telling my boss one day that I could be a professional student if I had someone to pay for it.

Anonymous said...

The above anonymous was sent by Wanda, who forgot to sign her name. Having a tough time with blogs today. I tried to comment on my nephews blog, but you apparently have to have some kind of account to leave a comment there, so I gave up. Sometimes I hate computers.